We are hiring a program manager! Click for more information and how to apply.
– What did you find most valuable about your experience with the Food and Leadership Fellowship?
-How did this fellowship inform the work you want to engage with in the future?
-Do you think this fellowship shifted or changed your life path in any way
-What advice would you give to future fellows?
Applications are due by May 12th.
Please join us Tuesday, May 23rd for our next Open House at the Urban Roots Farm!Our Open House offer an opportunity for you to come see the farm, hear a word from our youth leaders, enjoy some refreshments, and get an exclusive farm tour. We love giving you a closer look at the impact of the community’s support in our work to empower youth and nourish the community at the same time.
Thank you to Home Slice for catering!
Generously Sponsored by:
We are excited to announce our 2017 partnership with Chipotle in support of our Community Volunteer Engagement!
Each year we depend on over 1,000 adult volunteers to produce 25,000 pounds of fruits and vegetables for our community. This work simply wouldn’t be possible without your help. And as anyone who has volunteered on the Urban Roots will tell you, farming is hard work. So, it is our pleasure to tell you that every volunteer who comes to the Urban Roots Farm will receive a Chipotle gift card.
We are proud to partner with Chipotle. Thank you for helping us empower youth and nourish the community!
Limit one BOGO offer per volunteer. Limited to the first 1,200 qualified volunteers. BOGO offers will be subject to terms and conditions. Void where prohibited; additional restrictions may apply.
The Food & Leadership Fellowship is a paid leadership development opportunity for young adults on the Urban Roots farm during the fall. Fellows build leadership and professional skills while growing thousands of pounds of fresh produce for the community.
- Learn about food justice in local and global food systems.
- Grow fresh produce for the community using sustainable farming practices.
- Serve by completing a project improving food access in Austin.
- Lead volunteers on the farm, building professional skills like public speaking and team management.
WHEN IS IT?
The Fellowship runs from September 8th to December 8th. Fellows work Tuesdays OR Thursdays from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm AND Fridays from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm (8 hours per week). To participate, you must commit to the entire length of the Fellowship.
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION?
- Fellows are paid a bi-weekly stipend equivalent to $10/hour, plus a $100 bonus for completing the Fellowship.
- Fellows also take home fresh vegetables when available.
WHEN ARE APPLICATIONS DUE?
- The priority deadline for submitting applications is May 12th. Some applicants will be notified of their acceptance over the summer.
- The final deadline for submitting applications is August 4th. The remaining positions for the Fellowship will be filled at this time.
- Refer a friend! If you both apply and they’re accepted, you’ll get a $30 bonus.
WHEN ARE INTERVIEWS?
Two group interviews will be held: Friday, May 19th, and Friday, August 11th. Applicants must attend one of these two interview times. Due to the nature of group interviews, no makeup interviews will be held.