Applications for the 2018 fall Food & Leadership Fellowship will be open through September 18th!
The Food & Leadership Fellowship is a paid leadership development opportunity for young adults on the Urban Roots farm during the fall and spring. Fellows build leadership and professional skills while growing thousands of pounds of fresh produce for the community.
- Learn about food justice in local and global food systems.
- Grow fresh produce for the community using sustainable farming practices.
- Serve by completing a project improving food access in Austin.
- Lead volunteers on the farm, building professional skills like public speaking and team management.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- The fellowship is open to anyone ages 17-22 who is no longer attending high school and/or is able to work on the farm in the morning during the week.
- Fellows do not need to be enrolled in college, though college students are welcome.
- Fellows do not need to have any experience or knowledge of farming.
- Fellows must be able to complete sustained physical work outside.
WHAT ARE THE DETAILS?
- Fellows work 8 hours each week on the farm. Fall 2018 work days are Thursday and Friday from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- The fall 2018 session will start early October and last through mid December. See the application for dates.
- Fellows earn a stipend equivalent to $10 per hour, paid every two weeks, and an end of season bonus.
- Some transportation to the farm is available. Pick up locations are tentatively ACC Riverside and Huston Tillotson University, but may change based on applicant needs.
CAN I WORK AT URBAN ROOTS AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
- Fellows are invited to join our Alumni engagement program when they complete the fellowship, providing paid event opportunities and meet-ups to continue your growth as a leader.
- Fellows who have completed the fellowship are invited to return as a peer leader in future fellowship sessions, taking on additional responsibilities and serving in a leadership role in the fellowship.
- Urban Roots Crew Leaders – All Fellows can apply for Crew Leader positions with Urban Roots in the summer, working closely as mentors to high school interns in our Farm Internship Program. Crew Leaders work 40 hours per week during the 2 month summer session.