Food & Leadership Fellowship
The Food & Leadership Fellowship is a paid leadership development opportunity for young adults on the Urban Roots farm during the fall. Fellows build leadership and professional skills while growing thousands of pounds of fresh produce for the community.
- Learn about food justice in local and global food systems.
- Grow fresh produce for the community using sustainable farming practices.
- Serve by completing a project improving food access in Austin.
- Lead volunteers on the farm, building professional skills like public speaking and team management.
WHEN IS IT?
The Fellowship runs from September 8th to December 8th. Fellows work Tuesdays OR Thursdays from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm AND Fridays from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm (8 hours per week). To participate, you must commit to the entire length of the Fellowship.
WHAT ARE THE ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES?
- Fellows may work additional hours on the farm, learning more about Urban Roots and our work. Each optional opportunity is paid and will be completed outside of the regular Fellowship hours.
- Agriculture Fellows work Wednesday mornings on the farm for 10 weeks, and will receive deeper training on sustainable agriculture through lunch-and-learn sessions with our Farm Director and guests.
- Youth Mentorship Fellows learn about Urban Roots’ unique youth mentorship model, and work alongside high school interns in our Culinary Leadership Academy over a one month period. Youth Mentorship Fellows will also learn how to host educational tours of the Urban Roots farm, which they can continue to host (and get paid for) after the Fellowship ends.
- Urban Roots Crew Leaders – All Fellows can apply for Crew Leader positions with Urban Roots in the spring and summer of 2018, working closely as mentors to high school interns in our Farm Internship Program. Crew Leaders work 12 hours per week during the spring session and 40 hours per week during the summer session.
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION?
- Fellows are paid a bi-weekly stipend equivalent to $10/hour, plus a $100 bonus for completing the Fellowship.
- Fellows also take home fresh vegetables when available.
WHEN ARE APPLICATIONS DUE?
- The priority deadline for submitting applications is May 12th. Some applicants will be notified of their acceptance over the summer.
- The final deadline for submitting applications is August 4th. The remaining positions for the Fellowship will be filled at this time.
- Refer a friend! If you both apply and they’re accepted, you’ll get a $30 bonus.
WHEN ARE INTERVIEWS?
Two group interviews will be held: Friday, May 19th, and Friday, August 11th. Applicants must attend one of these two interview times. Due to the nature of group interviews, no makeup interviews will be held.