Educational Farm Tours
We will begin scheduling Spring tours in January, with tours beginning mid-February.
ABOUT THE TOUR
Urban Roots offers age-appropriate Educational Tours for groups of students and community members from elementary school through adult. Led by Urban Roots staff and/or youth interns, Educational Tours include a farm tour with educational content including:
- sustainable farming
- making healthy food choices
- where our food comes from
Optional Activities might include:
- nature exploration
- ability / age-appropriate hands-on farm work
- farm quiz
1 Hour Tour includes:
35 minute tour of Urban Roots’ 3.5 acre farm
1.5 Hour Tour includes:
50 minute tour of Urban Roots’ 3.5 acre farm
20 minutes of hands-on field work
SCHEDULE A TOUR
We will begin scheduling Spring tours in January, with tours beginning mid-February. To schedule an Educational Tour, please send an email request to email@example.com. Please include your preferred tour options, dates, times, number of participants, and the age range of the participants. We will process your request and email you with follow-up as soon as possible. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
We can accommodate as few as 10 people for each tour. These numbers must include an adequate amount of adult supervision who will be responsible for actively participating with their students and for discipling students in their group – please see chart below.
The above ratios (adult to youth) must be met in order for the tour to be conducted. If the number of students participating falls below 10 and/or the adult to youth ratios are not met, Urban Roots will postpone the tour until the groups are able to meet the minimum standard.
Tour Groups Must
- Communicate important information to all attendees.
- Provide transportation to and from the farm for their group. Parking is available along Delwau Lane.
- Send completed Parent Consent Forms (English / Spanish) for each youth participating and/or Agency Liability Release Forms 2 business days ahead of the schedule tour. These forms will be emailed to the tour contact upon confirmation of tour details. We must receive completed forms for each person participating prior to the start of tour. We cannot begin our Educational Tour until we have all the completed forms.
- Ensure all tour participants wear closed-toe shoes. Participants wearing opened-toe shoes will not be allowed to participate in the farm tour and the field work.
- Ensure all participants bring a water bottle.
- Disclose any information that may prevent a participant from being able to fully engage in the Educational Tour. We would like to address and discuss any accessibility needs prior to scheduling a tour to ensure we are able to provide the complete Urban Roots experience to all of our participants.
- It is imperative that the tour group arrives on time. Urban Roots is not able to accommodate groups that arrive 15 minutes past their scheduled start time. If this happens, the group will be asked to reschedule via email.
Cost for 2016 tours are currently being assessed.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions, find out more information, and schedule your groups’ Educational Farm Tour at Urban Roots!