Our hearts are full thanks to the 137 donors gave through the Amplify Austin platform– a full $13,128 for our young leaders. On top of that, our outside donations and matches means we met our $15,000 goal! What an incredible community we have.
Because of you we reached our Amplify Austin goal to support the journeys of 33 high-school youth this season as they learn and grow together.
Thank you for believing in the power of young leaders working to nourish the community!
Urban Roots is ready for 24 hours of giving with Amplify Austin, happening March 2nd – 3rd! We need your help to raise $15,000 to empower youth and nourish the community.
You don’t have to wait! Two things you can do RIGHT NOW:
- Schedule your donation today by clicking here.
- Become an Individual Fundraiser for Urban Roots with a personal fundraising page– you set the goal, you get the word out, and you become a champion for the youth and community that Urban Roots serves. It’s so easy! Create your fundraising page on the Amplify Austin website today, and use it to help your friends give back to a cause you’re passionate about. For specific instructions, see below.
To show our thanks, every Individual Fundraiser who raises any funds at all will be entered into a drawing to win 2 seats to our exclusive Tour de Farm gala in April!
Create your Individual Fundraiser profile:
2. Scroll to the bottom and click the “Create a Fundraising Campaign” button.
3. Create a Donor Account to easily track your donations and manage your fundraising pages.
4. Click on the tab My Fundraisers to create your campaign. Have fun completing your campaign, because your story of why you’re so passionate about this cause will inspire your friends to be part of this awesome work in our community.
6. Then submit your profile for approval by the Urban Roots team before it becomes active and ready-to-share. Please give us 24 hours to approve (we promise we’ll do this as quickly as we can!). Then you’re ready to start rocking out and Amplifying Austin for Urban Roots!
Join us February 12th for Jo’s South Congress 11th Annual Chili Cook Off, with all proceeds benefiting Urban Roots! The event is free to attend, and chili-tasting wristbands are sold at the event for $20 each.
The contestants will share their culinary talent and compete for a chance to win the prized trophy chili pot and bragging rights. Some of this year’s standout participants include: Yellowbird Hot Sauce, Contigo, chef John Bullington, and Fresa’s.
Guests will enjoy chili tastings and the music of Jeff Hughes & Chaparall and The Jo’s House Band.
We hope to see you there!
We’re hiring an awesome group of teenagers to grow food for the community this spring and summer.
The deadline to apply has been extended to Friday, January 20th!
As some of you know, in 2016, I celebrated 10 years in the Urban Roots family and I recently returned from a two-month sabbatical. I went to Asia for the first time, explored Japan for several weeks and Thailand for a little over a month. Needless to say, I was completely blown away by the food, the history, culture, and the people… but to travel to a place where not even the alphabet is the same definitely pushed me outside of my comfort zone.
|Kaya, UR youth intern, stepping onstage and taking a risk!|
Now that I’m back home, I’m seeing our work here at Urban Roots with a new set of eyes. I have a renewed appreciation for how we ask our youth, and even our supporters and volunteers, to take risks and be vulnerable– cultivating faith & trust in us and each other as they try new foods, get their hands dirty, and explore the outdoors.
The more I think about it, our entire organization is a huge leap of faith… we start each year planting seeds and hope that nature will provide. Daily we also cultivate our faith in YOU, that you will support Urban Roots and allow us to continue to provide a space for young leaders to grow and thrive.
Thank you for being part of our Urban Roots family that makes room for taking the risks necessary to grow and do big things together. As we wrap up 2016, I ask you to please continue to support UR & cultivate trust and faith in us and in our work to nourish the community.